[Axiom-developer] Re: [Aldor-l] Using Aldor or SPAD

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Aldor-l] Using Aldor or SPAD
Date: 19 Aug 2006 15:58:13 +0200

"Christian Aistleitner" <address@hidden> writes:

| Hello,
|
| On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 01:11:09 +0200, Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> wrote:
|
| > On 08/19/2006 12:23 AM, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
| >> Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:
| >>
| >> [...]
| >> |

| >> when you get a handful of motivated people, yes.
| >
| > Maybe we should open up a Wiki and call for people on the FrontPage
| > similar to the FreeAldor link.
|
| Bear in mind, that you are trying to rewrite an existing product.
| IANAL and I do not know French/British/Canadian law.
| But I have been reading several traits of US law (which I have been
| told  to be not too different from Canadian law).
| According to my understanding of US law, someone who has seen Aldor
| source  code cannot work on rewriting Aldor (without explicit
| permission by those  who hold the rights of the Aldor source code).

I never touched/saw Aldor compiler source code.

I'm not trying to rewrite the existing compiler.  I'm only interested
in a new compiler for the *Aldor language*.  If the *Aldor language*
is defined to be the behaviour of its *current compiler*, then we are
all in trouble.

| I am not sure, to what extend the US law situation is reflected by
| Canadian, French or British law.
| However, as (I guess) most of the ppl interested in Aldor, have seen
| the  compiler's source code, they (probably) should not work on the
| reimplementation of it.

That is a very good point.  Does that also imply that you cannot
answer any technical question about the *Aldor language*?

| This is not some funny side remark of myself, but a real issue. Just
| think  about the pain ReactOS is going through.

:-)