[Axiom-developer] RE: Cannot Rename The File Erlib To NRLIB

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: Cannot Rename The File Erlib To NRLIB
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 21:47:30 -0400

Camm,

On Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:03 PM I wrote:
> Anyway it seems the following patch replacing (probe-file filearg)
> with (directory (truename filearg)) should work (for Axiom's
> purposes at least):
>
> In src/interp/nlib.lisp.pamphlet:
>
> ----------
>
>  ;; ($ERASE filearg) -> 0 if succeeds else 1
>  (defun $erase (&rest filearg)
>    (setq filearg (make-full-namestring filearg))
> -  (if (probe-file filearg)
> +  (if (directory (truename filearg))
>  #+:CCL (delete-file filearg)
>  #+:AKCL
>        (if (library-file filearg)
>            (delete-directory filearg)
>            (delete-file filearg))
>        1))
>
> ----------
>
> Any comments? Does anyone see how to do this a better way?

I have compiled and tested Axiom Silver build.improvements branch
with the new version of gcl-2.6.8pre, the above change as well as
the patch suggested by Camm:

> On Wednesday, August 23, 2006 2:27 PM
> > You need this in patches.lisp.pamphlet:
> >
> > -        (setq $current-directory (truename
> > -          (user-homedir-pathname))) )
> >
> > goes to
> >
> > +        (setq $current-directory (namestring (truename
> > +          (user-homedir-pathname)))))

As expected the problem with rename is solved by these changes.
Also Axiom has been built with 50% more memory (196*256) then was
possible with the previous version of gcl. This should eliminate
the memory related errors we have been seeing on some pages on
the Axiom Wiki. I have made this new version of Axiom the current
version on MathAction so that we can test it more thoroughly.

However I remain a little uncertain if 'directory' is really the
proper way to check for the existence of a file or directory in
common lisp?