[Axiom-developer] RE: obsolete pages and portal download

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: obsolete pages and portal download
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 23:40:05 -0400

On August 31, 2006 6:11 PM William Sit wrote:

> Is there any info that is still useful on
> http://page.axiom-developer.org?

No, I don't think so. This was my original "personal home page"
on the axiom-developer site. In addition to the wiki and the
portal, anyone who has an account directly on the axiom-developer
server also has such a web page. These are only editable when
you are directly logged in to the server.

> Can some of these pages be deleted (or made unreadable by
> the public)?

Yes. Should I delete it, have it automatically re-direct to
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org or maybe take the time to
actually make it more "personal"? What do yo think?

See also for example Tim's personal page at:

http://daly.axiom-developer.org

Of course anyone who wishes to could also construct such a
"personal page" on the Axiom wiki or Axiom portal sites without
any special access to the server.

> It becomes very confusing to new users with so many info
> pages from the past.

I agree.

> Below are some sample wanderings:
>
> I went and logged into http://portal.axiom-developer.org and click
> on the Download button on the left. It said "Binary images and
> source files", but "There are currently no items in the folder."
>
> From there, I selected the Home page. I don't think the posts
> after the "add comment" button should belong there. The first
> post is "I try again ..." is dated 2004-09-02. While users should
> be allowed to post comments, these should be monitored by everyone
> on the developer-list to keep the info relevant.

Agreed.

> When I viewed the download.html page (result after search on
> "axiom download", the page seemed to be quite out of date). For
> example, it says: "The first release of Axiom is under development."
>
> The page: http://portal.axiom-developer.org/wiki/AxiomWiki
> Main page, which is:
> http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/Plone/wiki/AxiomWiki,
> is 2 years old.
>
> Just a random comment from random browsing.

Thanks for reviewing this.

> Your work on the site is always appreciated.

I am glad it is useful. I would be very pleased if you or anyone
else who has some time would go ahead with any changes that you
think would improve the site. The portal site in some cases changes
might require an upgrade of your registration "site manager" status
to allow edit access but I would be very pleased to delegate this
to who ever is motivated. :-)

If you don't have time, I will try to get to updating the portal
pages asap.