RE: [Axiom-developer] --patch-50

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] --patch-50
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 11:54:30 -0400

Gaby,

On September 1, 2006 11:23 AM you wrote:
> I do believe that there out to be a mode of compiling Axiom without
> having to latex the pamphlet files, because there are situations
> where those latexing are pure plain waste of valuable time.

Good.

> [...]
>
> | > If there are problems somewhere, I'm very willing to fix them,
> | > but I decline to fix the build environments.
> | >
> | I think "fix" is too strong a word for the SF compile farm since
> | these machines serve many different purposes.
>
> well, when I asked for machines where I could test Axiom on, you
> kindly reminded me that SF offers compile farm machines.  I find
> the idea great!
> Then I proceeded to registered myself and test Axiom.  Only to find
> that Axiom build requirements are met only on linux-based platforms.
> If we restrict ourselves sufficiently enough we should not have any
> problem.  We could even build a wonderful black-hole ghetto for
> Axiom.

I don't think there is a desire to restrict where Axiom builds -
this is only due to allocation of the scarce resource of people
motivated to solve problems on other platforms.

> Now, if I must spend valuable time to install tools on each of those
> systems and watchout for my user configuration files to pick the
> right binaries and whatnot, then I rather spend it on my research
> and teaching.

Understood. I would prefer to reduce the requirements (e.g. remove
the requirement for latex).

> Axiom requirements are excellent in the abstract.  Its approach to
> the real software world makes it a good candidate for the contest
> of most frustrating open source software to contribute to.

I agree. How can we fix that?

Regards,
Bill page.