Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Requiring LaTeX

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Requiring LaTeX
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 18:02:39 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006, root wrote:

| You don't need root access to install latex.

True.  But is latex *really* required to install and run axiom.  The
answer is no.  Are all people' times best spent in installing latex on
all machines when the real issue is to test for *axiom*
functionnalities?  You have to ask yourself how you can best benefit
from people's limited time.

If you believe that latex is required for Axiom, I must delcare that
you have not understood literate programming.  And I'm not joking;
sadly. :-(

[...]

| It is not reasonable to build on a non-latex machine because in the
| near future (assuming I have a creative burst that gets me over the
| hump) we should be able to just drag-and-drop sources onto our
| browser-based hyperdoc. The whole process will fail without latex.

when that wonderful time comes, we will advise.

| Future plans require it.

But we have to live with the present too.

| Systems without latex will be like systems without X11.

Not really.  Really check.