Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Requiring LaTeX

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Requiring LaTeX
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 20:19:37 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006, root wrote:

| > | I really don't understand why you insist on preventing people from
| > | contributing to Axiom.
| >
| > if we allow build of Axiom without requiring latex, Axiom might be in
| > the danger of being tested and used in more environments, and we might
| > have more users; that should not be allowed.
|
| Ralf, Gaby,
|
| Are these reasonable statements?

To some extent, they reflect the frustration grown out of what I see
as unreasonable rigid requirements.  I apologize if you feel bad about
it, but they reflect some reality and I would encourage you to take
them into account.

[...]

| In what way are people being prevented from contributing?
|
| Axiom used to build directly from non-latex sources. These sources
| still exist in Arch and CVS.

I suspect that what we are saying is that, instead of telling users grab
yet that another branch somewhere else, make the mainstream ones
sufficiently "accessible" in the sense that they don't require too
much dependencies.  Those are not unreasonable statements.

I may not have looked sufficiently, but I was not under the impression
that we have so much reousrce that we can afford unfocused branches
multiplied ad infinitum, and wasted efforts.

| There are more Axiom users now than
| there were prior to the latex builds. There is nothing to prevent
| you from creating a non-latex SVN branch that uses these sources.

I suspect that is the part you don't want to aapreciate.  I'm not
interested in working on any branch on something that is not
mainline.  And I certainly don't have the desire to spend time on
a branch of Axiom when I do know from the outset that it is wasted
time.  So the question: is there sufficient value in allwoing Axiom to
build in an environment lacking latex.  The answer is yes.  You say no
with the emphasis that if latex is missing then the build must fail.
When, you hold that view so strongly, how do you really believe you
encourage people to make contributions to Axiom?  Apparently, I have
machines I can help testing Axiom functionalities if Axiom is allowed
to build if latex is missing.

| So far only the Debian default system does not include Latex.

the SF compile farm hosts where latex is missing are not just debian
systems.  Please check.

| Latex can be built for a single user. In what way does using
| latex cause the world to turn away?

It does prevent people from effectively testing Axiom, when in
fact latex is not necessary to test Axiom's functionnalities.

| I admit to having strongly religious views of the way I believe Axiom
| should be built but that doesn't mean you have to agree.  It doesn't
| mean you can't change things. In fact I encourage you to try.  If you
| really believe latex is a blocking condition then build the system
| without it.

Good!  The question is whether you guarantee NOT to give the work
consideration.