Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Requiring LaTeX

From: Raymond E. Rogers
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Requiring LaTeX
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 12:41:39 -0400

Alfredo Portes wrote:
> Ray,
>
> On 9/2/06, *Raymond E. Rogers* <address@hidden
> Alfredo,
>         Oh, please please; what good is "literate programing" if nobody
> understands what is said.  Known
> error outs should automatically tell the user (typically inexperienced)
> what to do.
>
> Ray
>
> Alfredo Portes wrote:
> and the
>> error is shown to the user telling them what is needed.
>>

> I would argue the contrary, that this doesn't always happen. Windows
> systems are the best example. What in the world do I do if I get a
> window saying:
>
> "unknown error".
> "error: c456cpetht..."
> "the system has recovered from a serious error"

I have no idea, and that was the point I was trying to make.

> That doesn't have to do anything with LP. And type of error messages
> like this are written by world top programmers.
There are some people that would argue that, but I won't go there:)

> My point was that I see now two camps in the mailing list. I could be a
> regular user of Axiom, so my hope will be always to just say "apt-get
> install axiom" or any other package manager. If I am trying to compile
> it and I am missing something, then this should be clear. Who has not
> spent time trying to figure out some dependency because it was not clear
> what broke at compilation time. (maybe only me, nooby :-) ).
yes

> In a perfect world Axiom would not have any dependency, but if it must
It must unless we are going to reinvent the universe; the point is to make it
clear and explicit.

> I understand that it makes it harder for the testing purposes on other
> systems, but I think is not that much of a problem as it sounds in this
> thread. Of course I could be totally wrong, with everybody more
> experienced than me actually doing the work (easy to talk in the bench) .
It's a challenge, but one that must be met for wide usage; at least until "The
Operating System"is
finally developed.

> I hope that was the problem you were talking about, and not my English.
> Sorry if I am not clear in my writting (I have only 4 years living in
> US. Funny enough 4 years ago I was not able to ask for coffee in a
> restaurant, much less think that I would be able to write suggestions
> for such a  great project like Axiom).
Absolutely nothing to do with you or your writing; I was just making a plea for
know errors to give
guidance about how to fix things.

Regards,

Jose Alfredo Perez

Enjoy, it's 63 in Maine, that's the high.  The New England weather forecast a
couple of weeks ago:
prepare for early frost; after all, summer is almost 2/3 over.

Ray