Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [SilverBinaries] (new) Help test Axiom Silver

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [SilverBinaries] (new) Help test Axiom Silver
Date: 14 Sep 2006 12:40:18 +0200

Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:

| Hi Bill,
|
| Nice that you have opened up that site.

same here!

| http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SilverBinaries
|
| However, I think we should stick to some naming convention otherwise
| people (not me anymore) get confused.
|
| What we have is like Debian.
|
| Gold = stable
| Silver = unstable
| Bronze = testing

many of my students were scared by the name "unstable" and did not
want to touch it.  I don't think they are unique in that respect.

I know that for GCC, for example, we call mainline, "experimental" -- not
"unstable".  Personally, I would prefer to reserve the "negative"
sounding "unstable" to branches like "build-improvements" -- which
really can be very unstable :-)

| You promote the build-improvements branch which is clearly in the
| testing phase, so it should NOT be called Silver.

I agree.