Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom Conference Call Sept 14, 2006

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom Conference Call Sept 14, 2006
Date: 15 Sep 2006 06:40:00 +0200

"Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:

| Gaby,
|
| On September 14, 2006 5:32 PM you wrote:
| >
| > Tim Daly writes:
| >
| > [...]
| >
| > | 10) There was a discussion of which version (Gold, Silver, or
| > |     Build-improvements) to choose when trying to port to a system.
| > |
| > |     Tim's take on it was that the question revolves around the
| > |     issue of whether the system is known to build on the target.
| > |     If it is known to build then the only issue is whether the
| > |     new Makefiles in Build-improvement works. If it is not known
| > |     to build then Gold should be used so we can isolate the
| > |     Makefile bugs from the source code bugs.
| >
| > I always thought it is "silver".
| >
| > I thought build-improvements should die (or be closed) once
| > I'm finished.
| >

| This issue was related to the fact that I recently sent you some
| patches for building Axiom on Solaris 10/GNU from the build-
| improvement sources. Tim wants to apply these changes to Axiom Gold
| sooner rather than waiting for them to tricle through Silver to
| Gold.

[...]

Thanks for explaining, and thanks for your enthousiasm for the
build-improvemnts branch.  I, too, was (pleasantly) surprised by your
attempt and of course would like results available to people as soon
as possible.  But I fear that "pre-mature" testing with negative
results might make people turn away.  Or the contrary.

Anyway, thank you!