Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom
Date: 27 Sep 2006 08:33:22 +0200

"Page, Bill" <address@hidden> writes:

| On Tuesday, September 26, 2006 11:47 PM Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
| >
| >   The time it takes to build Axiom is prohibitive.
| >
| > If the build is done only once a day, that is probably alright.
| > However, when several iterations are done in a day, it becomes
| > unbearable.
| >
| > What can be done to improve the build time?
| >
| > -- Gaby
| > PS: yes, I consider that I have relatively "fast" machines.
| >

| After eliminating the obvious like avoiding building the docs
| and running the tests, the next thing you probably need to do
| is find a way to compile SPAD faster. Right now, interpsys is
| loaded and compiles a single SPAD file, then quits for each of
| 1,042 files. In principle it should be possible to compile many
| SPAD files in a single call to interpsys - say one call per
| layer in the algebra build.

agreed.

| Also, interpsys (really the embedded GCL) runs gcc for each
| SPAD compile to compile the generated lisp to object code.
| Is there some way to make starting gcc faster?

Not that I know of, given current Axiom architecture.

Offline, Camm, Bob Boyer and I have been exploring the idea of
integrating GCL to GCC (long term project).  Bob suggested that we
somehow find a way to have GCL not to start parsing over and over
again the same include file (cmpinclude.h).
Maybe the precompiled header capability would be an option but I doubt
it gains us a significant speed up in the Axiom case, but who knows;
we have to try.