RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 21:01:51 -0500

On Wednesday, November 01, 2006 8:18 PM Humberto Ortiz-Zuazaga wrote:
> On PowerPC, make fails:
>
> gcc  -o raw_pre_gcl  \
> -L.    -lpre_gcl `echo -lSM -lICE  -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXmu -lXt -lXext
> -lXaw -lX11    -lm  -lreadline -lncurses | sed -e 's/-lncurses/ /'`
> -lintl -lc -lgclp
> /usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lintl
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> Fink installed a version of libintl from gettext-dev 0.10.40, so I've
> added a "-L/sw/lib" and am retrying the build now.

Here is a recipe that seems to work for me and avoids reference
to fink or other non-gcl related libraries:

 $ export
LIBRARY_PATH=/home/users/b/bi/billpage/osx/new/gcl-2.6.8pre/binutils/int
 $ make clean
 $ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-locbfd --disable-statsysbfd
 $ make
 $ make install

I have a new batch of Axiom cooking with this version of gcl.

Note: It seems to be necessary to specify the --endable-locfd option
to ensure that the bfd internal to gcl is configured with internal
gettext.

> On Intel, configure of gmp fails, as it can't figure out the machine
> type. I have gmp 4.2.1 installed with fink, but I don't think I can
> build gcl with that version of gmp.

Too bad. :-( There are some options that affect gcl's use of gmp.
See ./configure --help  You might try:

  --disable-dynsysgmp

I have also Cc: Camm Maquire, the primary GCL developer who might
have some other suggestions for your Mac Intel platform.

Thanks.