Re: [Axiom-developer] viewport in build-improvements

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] viewport in build-improvements
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 13:04:19 +0100 (CET)

Ralf Hemmecke wrote:
> Sure many files *look* like text files, but you have heard Tim saying that
>
> 1) a SCM should never change the line ending format

Tell that to Windows folks.

> 2) some files are random access files. If SVN replaces \n by \r\n at
> checkout time, they are corrupt, since the byte count at the beginning
> of the file does not work anymore.

.ht, .pht, .bitmap, .pixmap, .xbm and .data in Axiom distribution are
text files.  Hyperdoc uses byte counts to access .ht and .pht, but
the file positions should be recomputed anyway.

Postscript files are more tricky: .ps files in Axiom distribution
are text files, but in general Postscript may contain binary data.
I think in the future we should decide if we want binary Postscript
in source repository (ATM I did not touch .ps files).

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden