Re: [Axiom-developer] Ping: file removals

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Ping: file removals
Date: 06 Nov 2006 21:42:04 +0100

"Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| > Documentation in any form is to be desired and it often cannot be
| > created "from the source".
|
| True. Documentation is not source code but source code i.e. pamphlet
| files, can be used to create some of the Axiom documentation.

Indeed.  Let me expand on this.
We are talking of pamphlet files.  So, the way I read Waldek's use
of "documentation" is "the produced PDF format (or any other
processed) file that explains the system".  I did not realize it could
be parsed as meaning that the pamphlet should be thrown away.  I could
be wrong and I cannot speak for Waldek, but I certainly did not read
it as meaning that the pamphlet should be thrown away.  If axiom is
suffering from something, it is certainly is from lack or documentation.

It it my belief that the Axiom source code repository should ideally
contain all of the system explanation that is needed to reproduce,
say, a PDF format of all that is needed to know, to understand, to
use, and to extend the system.  If the source code repository in not
in a state where that is achievable, then the source code repository
is incomplete, and must be completed.  Consequently, if the corrected
bookvol1 cannot be reproduced with current sources, then someone is hiding
something.  If the source code is complete, then there is no need to
maintain the PDF format in the source core repository.  That does not
necesarily mean information is thrown away.