RE: [Axiom-developer] Debugging Boot

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Debugging Boot
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 23:24:42 -0500

On November 25, 2006 4:05 AM Martin Rubey wrote:

> Bill Page writes:
>
> > I think what you probably want to do is keep the source
> > code of the entire routine that you are debugging in a file.
> > Make changes to it, re-compile it, and load the resulting
> > lisp code - replacing the previous function definintions.
> > Then execute some test in Axiom.
>
> OK. Could you please send me instructions (if you know how to
> do it).

"(if you know how to do it.)" ???

:-(

Have you looked at the Axiom Wiki pages about boot?

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/BootProgramming

> * I'd like to debug i-output
>
> * how can I display debugging information in boot, i.e.,
>   something like output("Hi, I'm here") and output(some-variable).

See the example at:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxIOutput

The commands executed by MathAction to compile and load modified
BOOT code for i-ouput.boot are equivalent to the following:

  )lisp (boottran::boottocl "src/interp/i-output2.boot")
  )lisp (load (compile-file "int/interp/i-output2.clisp"))

Note that there is something hard coded in the old boot compiler
that insists on putting the compiler output in 'int/interp' in
the Axiom source tree.

Please let me know if this example is clear.

You should also feel obligated to add NEW and BETTER examples
to the Axiom wiki. :-)