RE: [Axiom-developer] Axiom/GCL on windows

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Axiom/GCL on windows
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 22:43:51 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, Page, Bill wrote:

| On Tuesday, December 12, 2006 4:52 AM Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
| >
| > I believe I solved the mystery:  After the recent reorganization
| > I made, the variable SPAD did not have a have a value by the time
| > Make did substitution -- though it has a value set in the _shell_
| > command line used to invoke depsys.  Why that isn't an issue under
| > linux is not clear to me at this moment.
| >
| > After re-reading Greg's message, I decided to trace build-interpsys
| > and that is how I spotted that the last argument was empty -- which
| > is not supposed to be.
| >
| > Having two ways of saying the same thing (AXIOM and SPAD) is just
| > confusing and plain wrong.  I changed src/interp/Makefile to use
| > only AXIOM (and not SPAD).  interpsys was build successfully.
| > As I'm writing this message, algebra layer 1 is being built.
| >

| Have you committed the required changes to build-improvements yet?

Bill --

  As of revision 403, I can successfully build Axiom.build-improvements
to produce AXIOMsys on Windows, using MinGW/MSYS.  I followed the
existing description of the dependencies between components, so I did
not build src/input.  I believe that is not correct.  We should be
able to build src/input too , and in particular to run the
regression test.  This is a heads-up, that something is buiilding and
running.

Furthermore, when I run AXIOMsys to test simple things, I noticed that
I don't have the usual output under linux or other unix-variant systems.  I
don't know whether this is "normal" under windows, or a collateral
damage I've done recently.  Your insight would be most appreciated.

Below is a sample session I run.

Thanks,

-- Gaby

$ DAASE=./target/i686-pc-mingw32 AXIOM=./target/i686-pc-mingw32/ ./target/i686-
pc-mingw32/bin/AXIOMsys.exe
GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.6.8 CLtL1    Dec 14 2006 20:51:04
Source License: LGPL(gcl,gmp), GPL(unexec,bfd,xgcl)
Binary License:  GPL due to GPL'ed components: (UNEXEC)
Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible license
Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter

Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.
Temporary directory for compiler files set to C:/DOCUME~1/gdr/LOCALS~1/Temp/
                        AXIOM Computer Algebra System
             Version: Axiom build-improvements branch 2006-12-04
             Timestamp: Thursday December 14, 2006 at 22:00:35
   Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
   Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
   Issue )quit to leave AXIOM and return to shell.

   Using local database ./target/i686-pc-mingw32/algebra/compress.daase..
Usin  g local database ./target/i686-pc-mingw32/algebra/interp.daase..
   Using local database ./target/i686-pc-mingw32/algebra/operation.daase..
   Using local database ./target/i686-pc-mingw32/algebra/category.daase..
   Using local database ./target/i686-pc-mingw32/algebra/browse.daase..
(1) -> 2 + 3

   (1)  5
\axPrintType{\lispLink{\verb!(|conPage| '( |PositiveInteger|
))!}{\verb`Positive  Integer`}}(2) ->
(2) -> x + 3 * x^3
      UnivariatePolynomialMultiplicationPackage

          3
   (2)  3x  + x
\axPrintType{\lispLink{\verb!(|conPage| '( |Polynomial| ( |Integer| )
))!}{\verb  `Polynomial`} \lispLink{\verb!(|conPage| '( |Integer|
))!}{\verb`Integer`}}(3) -  > )quit