Re: [Axiom-developer] Boot/SPAD package syntax

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Boot/SPAD package syntax
Date: 05 Jun 2007 07:46:31 -0500

Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:

| >> I use the syntax FOO::BAR, but not FOO'BAR, for "package-call".
| >> New Boot treats FOO'BAR as a "single" identifier.
|
| > Ok, a "package-call" is a Lisp concept.  As far as I know neither Boot
| > nor SPAD admit the concept of a package.
|
| I don't know much about Lisp and Boot, but Aldor defines what a
| package is (maybe it is different from what you mean here) and I
| always thought, that this is a concept that also exists in SPAD.

There are different notions of package here.
There is the notion of package as defined by Spad, and Axiom.
Then there is the notion of package, which really is a name space, as
defined by the assembly language Lisp.

In Spad you can do "package call", i.e. explicitly specify where
you want the symbol from, as in "x$P"; in the assembly language Lisp
you do "P:x" or "P::x".