[Axiom-developer] Re: Hyperdoc

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Hyperdoc
Date: 12 Jun 2007 10:01:07 +0200

Dear Tim,

address@hidden writes:

> Martin,
>
> Sorry for the delay in your question about working together on the hyperdoc
> issue. I've been giving it some thought. I have a long term view of the
> "porting problem" which might be different from your (or anyone else's) view
> so this is purely my opinion.  I'd welcome feedback on it.

Thanks for answering.  However, I must admit that your answer is quite
disappointing for me.  I'm not interested in having a hyperdoc replacement, be
it as good as it may, next year or even later.  I need something that's usable
this september.  And last but not least, I disagree entirely with you that the
design of hyperdoc is dated.  Quite on the contrary, I think it's mostly *very*
intelligently done.  If I compare to Mathematica, Maple, Maxima and even MuPAD,
it is *far* better.  (The design of HyperDoc, that is.  I'm not at all talking
about the missing documentation.)

Furthermore, your idea of using lisp for everything sounds quite dangerous to
me.  It sounds like: I don't really know what I'm going to do, but I'm going to
use lisp.

And replacing LaTeX with some lisp typesetter is, in my opinion, the most
stupid thing that could happen to axiom.

If you manage to do graphics as nice as currently available,  I'd love it.

In any case, since we are probably both continuing on our own, maybe you could
still tell me how to get users, uses, dependents and depends.  After all, this
would have to be part of the "Crystal", too?

Martin