Re: [Axiom-developer] help function

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] help function
Date: 06 Sep 2007 08:29:06 +0200

Francois Maltey <address@hidden> writes:

> > I also believe that ")help" is much(!) better than "help".  I believe that
> > it does make sense to separate functionality like )help, )display, )show,
> > )lib, etc. from algebra functionality.

> But is it sure that )read is a meta-system command ?

Not sure, but I like it better that way.

> It's impossible to insert )sys and )cd in an axiom function.

No.

(97) -> systemCommand("sys ls")
papers           pdsaw52even.dvi  pdsaw52even.pdf  pdsaw52even.tex
pdsaw.input   pdsaw.input.~BASE~
pdsaw52even.aux  pdsaw52even.log  pdsaw52even.ps   pdsaw52even.tex~
pdsaw.input~

                                                                   Type: Void

But of course, everything after "sys " is system-dependent.

> Is it possible to use a local )set command for )set stream...

Try it, I do not know.

> and the )set function cache... is outside the definition of the function,
> but its sense is (for me) a local declaration as local variable or so.

Yes, I do think it's a pity that ")se fu ca" can not be turned on from within
spad or aldor.  At least, I do not really know how to do it.  On the other
hand, it's very easy to do it yourself:  (untested)

remember: Table(DomA, DomB) := empty()

f(arg: DomA): DomB ==
     res := search(arg, remember)
     if res case DomB
     then res
     else

And of course, in input files ")se fu ca" just works.

Martin