Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: GCL on an AMD64 Linux system?

From: M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: GCL on an AMD64 Linux system?
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 21:56:20 -0700

root wrote:
>> Ah -- I'll try that. Meanwhile, the Axiom build with gcl-2.6.7 completed
>> fine on the AMD64, so I guess 2.6.8pre2 is broken. One minor hitch:
>> apparently when you do a "make install", it's not doing a "mkdir -p":
>>
>> address@hidden /home/axiom/silver $ sudo make install
>> 78 installing Axiom in /usr/local/axiom
>> /bin/sh: /usr/local/axiom/mnt//bin/axiom: No such file or directory
>> make: *** [install] Error 1
>>
>> This is easy to work around, though:
>>
>> address@hidden /home/axiom/silver $ sudo mkdir -p
>> /usr/local/axiom/mnt//bin
>> address@hidden /home/axiom/silver $ sudo make install
>> 78 installing Axiom in /usr/local/axiom
>> 79 Axiom installation finished.
>
> The first line of the install stanza reads:
>   @mkdir -p ${DESTDIR}
> so I'm not sure what might have failed.
>
> Note that your DESTDIR appears to have two //
> although my test here shows that this works and does the right thing.
>
> Can you post your command line?
>
> Tim

Let me do some digging ... but ...

1. The // was copied and pasted. The "sudo make install" (first time)
responded with

/bin/sh: /usr/local/axiom/mnt//bin/axiom: No such file or directory

Note the double slashes.

2. Yes, in most cases a double slash "does the right thing", meaning it
behaves like a single slash. I don't even know if it's deprecated. I
don't do it deliberately, and when I spot one accidental, I fix it.

3. In the top level Makefile:

DESTDIR=/usr/local/axiom

So ... mkdir -p /usr/local/axiom

Here's the "install" code:

install:
  @echo 78 installing Axiom in ${DESTDIR}
  @mkdir -p ${DESTDIR}
  @cp -pr ${MNT} ${DESTDIR}
  @echo '#!/bin/sh -' >${COMMAND}
  @echo AXIOM=${DESTDIR}/mnt/${SYS} >>${COMMAND}
  @echo export AXIOM >>${COMMAND}
  @echo PATH='$${AXIOM}/bin':'$${PATH}' >>${COMMAND}
  @echo export PATH >>${COMMAND}
  @cat ${INT}/sman/axiom >>${COMMAND}
  @chmod +x ${COMMAND}
  @echo 79 Axiom installation finished.
  @echo
  @echo Please add $(shell dirname ${COMMAND}) to your PATH variable
  @echo Start Axiom with the command $(shell basename ${COMMAND})
  @echo

So ... it did the "mkdir -p". It must have crashed somewhere below that.

So ... I removed the installed Axiom and did the "sudo make install"
over. It did the "mkdir -p" and the "cp -pr" -- I can see the outputs in
/usr/local/axiom. The next line starts building the file COMMAND.

So what's COMMAND?

COMMAND=${DESTDIR}/mnt/${SYS}/bin/axiom

Somehow ${SYS}, which should be "linux", got erased? That's where the
double slashes came from.

Edit the Makefile:
#SYS=$(notdir $(AXIOM))
SYS=linux

Success!!
address@hidden /home/axiom/silver $ sudo make install
78 installing Axiom in /usr/local/axiom
79 Axiom installation finished.

Please add /usr/local/axiom/mnt/linux/bin to your PATH variable
Start Axiom with the command axiom

So ... what does all that say?