Re: [Axiom-developer] Mailing List Etiquette

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 15:53:52 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007, root wrote:

| It is amazing to me that you seem to know so much about "what
| this project's goals are" and "what this project really is".

What really is amazing is that people have repeatedly asserted on this
list that 'heavy use of Lisp' was part of the `GOALs of the original
Axiom project', and people have been referred to the famous readme.

When I decided to join this project, it was based primarily on the
Lyon 2002 meeting AND reading the famous readme.  Nothing there
indicated that moving to `heavy use of Lisp' was part of the GOALs.
On the way, goals have popped up, yet claimed to be part of the
original goals.  I feel that is close to `tricking people'.

[...]

| Suppose you worked at a University and had the "Meadow" project.
| Suppose I joined the University. Suppose after 20 months I decided
| to present "Meadow" at a conference, decided to publish your source
| code at the conference, called my project "OpenMeadow", and sent
| your colleagues emails claiming "OpenMeadow" is the new "Meadow",
| use "OpenMeadow", etc. How should any reasonable person off the
| street view such behavior? How should my colleagues at the University
| view my behavior?

Ask them.  But, it would be highly interesting for you to clarify how
that relates to Axiom and OpenAxiom and anything I would have done at
any conference.