Re: [fricas-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [fricas-devel] Installation

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [fricas-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [fricas-devel] Installation directory
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 20:20:23 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007, root wrote:

> [...]
| >|
| >| Sigh. So you don't read the mailing lists. However, you'll remember
| >| that Axiom was clobbered by the newer install on the windows platform.
| >
| >You reported that you fumbled your installation.  That is a different story.
|
| So it's not FUD.

In the specific case we are talking about, yes.  Confer the discussion
we had on September 30, 2007.

| The problem is that they both use the same shell variable, command
| name, initialization filename and path variable name.

No.

When I install GNU coreutils on my Solaris box, I don't confuse
GNU with Sun.  I install them in different directory.  And Sun or AT&T
don't get to say how the `ls' command must be named by GNU on either
Solaris boxes or Linux boxes.

OpenAxiom installs all its algebra and sub-components in different
directory.   OpenAxiom does not depend on an external setting of the
AXIOM variable -- this is the nth time I'm repeating it to you.

| CMUCL and SBCL, which differ because SBCL uses autoconf, do not
| interfere with each other in any way.

Install OpenAxiom in a directory different from Axiom.  You can do it,
because OpenAxiom -- unlike Axiom -- lets you specify the destination
install directory at configuration time.
As a matter of fact, I have 6 copies of Axiom derivatives running on
the box I'm writing from.

Otherwise, the rest is a bug in Axiom -- you know how to fix it.