[Axiom-developer] SVN failure on Sourceforge.net

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] SVN failure on Sourceforge.net
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:11:17 -0500

All axiom development is done in git. The silver version
is available in git at axiom-developer.org. The "released
gold" version is on github.

I maintain a shadow copy of the axiom development tree
on sourceforge in SVN, the so-called silver version.

SVN has failed, yet again. Now it won't let me do updates due to:

  OPTIONS request failed on '/svnroot/axiom/trunk/axiom'

which failed in mid-commit so the SVN silver version on sourceforge is
bent. Do not use it until further notice.

About every 5th time I try to commit to SVN it fails.  SVN is a
worthless pile of broken code. It is slow, unreliable, keeps duplicate
copies of the repository, cannot handle obvious tasks like deleting a
subdirectory, and fails on some merging cases.

I have used git for over a year and it has not failed once.

I will try over the next day or so to recover the SVN tree.
If that fails then I'll abandon SVN completely. Axiom is available
in git, cvs and arch.

Source code control programs should "just work" and SVN does not.
What a horrible waste of good development cycles.

Tim