Re: [Axiom-developer] Installation on Debian Linux (Lenny) failed.

From: Tim Daly
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Installation on Debian Linux (Lenny) failed.
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 12:49:38 -0500

 Alan,

I am mildly confused. You said you downloaded the -bin version.
There is no need to run 'make'. The steps are:

tar -zxf axiom-debian-sept2010-bin.tgz
cd axiom
export AXIOM=`pwd`/mnt/debian
export PATH=$AXIOM/bin:$PATH
axiom

Try this and let me know if it works.

Tim Daly

On 1/4/2011 6:21 PM, Alan Hutchinson wrote:
Dear Sir
Thank you for Axiom. I have used it once before on another Linux machine, and it did what I wanted.

This is a Debian "Lenny" Linux installation which seems to be behaving well. It is usually updated whenever the update notifier suggests. Its basic features are
Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.26-2-686
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.93GHz
Main Memory
  Memory Range: 0x00000000-0x1f7effff (rw)
  Memory Size: 504 MB

I downloaded the most recent available copy of Axiom from your web page
  axiom-debian-sept2010-bin.tgz
and tried to install it this evening. The machine ran hard for maybe about 4 hours, and reported several regression test failures. While I was watching it, the simple memory monitor on the top panel suggested that it never had to use swap space as virtual memory. A summary of the commands I typed, and the output from "make", should be attached.
Could you please tell me if I have done anything wrong?

Best wishes
Alan Hutchinson.