Re: [Axiom-developer] solaris

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] solaris
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 12:48:30 -0400

Greetings!

u1204 <address@hidden> writes:

> Camm,
>
>>Greetings!  Are solaris and or Windows (mingw and cygwin) targets of
>>interest?  If so, what AXIOM setting works here?
>
> Solaris? Does that still exist? I don't have access to a Solaris box
> anymore. I thought it sat in the corner with Multics and MVS. I would
> have no idea how to set up the environment for it. Has anyone ported
> texlive?

OK, this is clearly not important.  Just checking as it is a maintained
gcl target in 2.6.11.

> Windows? Maybe. I'm leaning toward either a virtual machine (there
> is an "integrated" virtual machine I saw somewhere) or a Docker
> image (if I can find a Docker/Windows setup).
>
> I tried porting Axiom to mingw on Windows and wasted a week on a
> compiler bug in the mingw C compiler. I really hate single-stepping
> algebra in a debugger, especially when the bug is in the compiler.

I do have access to both mingw and cygwin environments for testing if
desired.  Again, just checking as these are supported gcl targets and I
want to complete testing before releasing 2.6.11.  Personally, it would
seem that at least one of these is at least as important as mac.  I take
it it has never really worked?  Is there a AXIOM keyword you worked on
last, e.g. mnt/mingw?

> The long term goal is to reduce Axiom to straight Common Lisp,
> using a browser front end (because, you know, browsers are stable
> platforms that never change :-) ). I have the browser interface
> working and a fair portion of the hyperdoc text available. I also
> have a working "notebook" where you can type expressions and see
> the results in the browser. I'm looking at rewriting the graphics
> to use the html5 canvas.
>
> So, eventually, all you will need to do is fire up a browser,
> point it at the pages, and all of Axiom will be available.
> Combined with the literate work it should be a good environment.
>
> Time, all it takes it time. ...

As always, I so admire your ambition!

Take care,