Re: [Axiom-developer] solaris

From: u1204
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] solaris
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 18:14:42 -0400

Camm,

>Greetings!  Are solaris and or Windows (mingw and cygwin) targets of
>interest?  If so, what AXIOM setting works here?

Solaris? Does that still exist? I don't have access to a Solaris box
anymore. I thought it sat in the corner with Multics and MVS. I would
have no idea how to set up the environment for it. Has anyone ported
texlive?

Windows? Maybe. I'm leaning toward either a virtual machine (there
is an "integrated" virtual machine I saw somewhere) or a Docker
image (if I can find a Docker/Windows setup).

I tried porting Axiom to mingw on Windows and wasted a week on a
compiler bug in the mingw C compiler. I really hate single-stepping
algebra in a debugger, especially when the bug is in the compiler.

The long term goal is to reduce Axiom to straight Common Lisp,
using a browser front end (because, you know, browsers are stable
platforms that never change :-) ). I have the browser interface
working and a fair portion of the hyperdoc text available. I also
have a working "notebook" where you can type expressions and see
the results in the browser. I'm looking at rewriting the graphics
to use the html5 canvas.

So, eventually, all you will need to do is fire up a browser,
point it at the pages, and all of Axiom will be available.
Combined with the literate work it should be a good environment.

Time, all it takes it time. ...

Tim