axiom-mail

Re: [Axiom-mail] TeX vs LaTeX output on AXIOM

From: Chris Sangwin
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] TeX vs LaTeX output on AXIOM
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:14:35 +0000 (GMT)

Dear Michel,

Many thanks for your reply - you are correct of course.  However, the
reason for wanting \frac and ^ rather than \over and \sp is that I shall
be using AXIOM to produce HTLM pages on the fly by piping the output via
TtH.  This does not support \sp, hence my request.

I wish to combine the output generated by AXIOM, with mathematical text
written in LaTeX and produce an HTML page on the fly, ie no editing of the
page allowed by me for fine tuning.  This is part of a computer aided
assessment system and has been done very successfully using Maple and TtH.
I am confident with this technique for my purposes.  I want to use an open
source CAS, rather than Maple, and hence my choice of AXIOM.

I know that this isn't the only route for displaying mathematics on the
web.  Of course, I'm operating with a number of constraints. I will be
using the results with students, and requiring them to have a plugin
component of any kind is a real barrier.  I want the resulting pages to be
viewed on the major browers. If I choose another route (math ML for
example), this will be a real problem.

I have two further questions

(1) Can I modify the TeX function, to fine tune the output in a
MyTeX() function?  If so, where should I look?

(2) Can anyone suggest an alternative route to generating HTML
fragments from AXIOM expressions?

Many thanks indeed.
Chris Sangwin