axiom-mail

RE: [Axiom-mail] TeX vs LaTeX output on AXIOM

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-mail] TeX vs LaTeX output on AXIOM
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:16:19 -0500

Chris Sangwin,

If you haven't already tried it, I would strongly suggest that
you take a look at TeXmacs. TeXmacs is open source and quite
actively maintained.

  http://www.texmacs.org

TeXmacs provides an interface to Axiom and several other open
source CAS as well as Mathematica and (older versions) of
Maple. Output is rendered in gui form. TeXmacs also does a
"credible" job of exporting to HTML and LaTeX. TeXmacs can
import LaTeX documents.

On Thursday, February 12, 2004 7:15 AM  Chris Sangwin wrote:
> I wish to combine the output generated by AXIOM, with
> mathematical text written in LaTeX and produce an HTML page
> on the fly, ie no editing of the page allowed by me for fine
> tuning.  This is part of a computer aided assessment system
> and has been done very successfully using Maple and TtH.
> I am confident with this technique for my purposes.  I want
> to use an open source CAS, rather than Maple, and hence my
> choice of AXIOM.
>
> I know that this isn't the only route for displaying
> mathematics on the web.  Of course, I'm operating with a
> number of constraints. I will be using the results with
> students, and requiring them to have a plugin component of
> any kind is a real barrier.  I want the resulting pages to be
> viewed on the major browers. If I choose another route (math
> ML for example), this will be a real problem.
>
> I have two further questions
>
> (1) Can I modify the TeX function, to fine tune the output in a
> MyTeX() function?  If so, where should I look?

It is possible but not easy because there is no *one place* to
look. In Axiom TeX generation output generation is distributed
over each module (several hundred).

> (2) Can anyone suggest an alternative route to generating
> HTML fragments from AXIOM expressions?

This was my motivation for mentioning TeXmacs.

Regards,
Bill Page.