axiom-mail

[Axiom-mail] Experimental Online Web Interface for REDUCE

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-mail] Experimental Online Web Interface for REDUCE
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 16:56:32 -0400

Dear Axiom Users:

Yes, this is still the Axiom mailing list. But I wanted you to know that a
wiki-based interface for Reduce (similar to the one developed for Axiom) is
now available for testing on the Axiom developer system. See:

  http://page.axiom-developer.org

About Reduce:

  http://test.axiom-developer.org/reducewiki

Axiom and Reduce:

  http://test.axiom-developer.org/Members/billpage/TestReduce

GNUplot Graphics:

  http://test.axiom-developer.org/Members/billpage/ReduceTest1

Now you can access both Axiom and Reduce online - even on the same web page
if you wish!
This new feature is still in the testing stage, so it available only on the
test system. Some features may change as development progresses but please
feel free to try it and experiment (at your own risk of course! :)

It is important to report any problems you notice and if you have
suggestions for improvements or other comments about this work, I would be
delighted to hear them.

I am particularly interested in your views on the pros and cons of having a
"bilingual" online mathematics web site supporting both Axiom and Reduce.
Both Axiom and Reduce are similar in "age" -- or should I say maturity? Both
are now open source systems. But they differ significantly in their approach
to implementing mathematics on the computer.

BTW, a copy of Tim Daly's "Rosetta document" is available online. See:

A comparison of systems:

  http://test.axiom-developer.org/wiki/RosettaStone

Some of the information here is out of date and some is missing. If you are
able to contribute to the completion of the tables in this document your
collaboration will be most greatfully acknowledged. Note that since this is
a "wiki" page, you can edit it simply by logging in to the web site.

Regards,
Bill Page.