axiom-mail

Re: [Axiom-mail] Data structure for object definition

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Data structure for object definition
Date: 29 Sep 2006 20:00:51 +0200

Martin Rubey <address@hidden> writes:

| Dear Gaby,
|
| Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:
|
| > Hi,
| >
| >   Is there an accessible algebra in Axiom that holds the
| > internal representation of Axiom object?
| >
| > Assume, I have
| >
| >      (x:% - %:y):% == reduc(x -$Rep y, commonk(x, y))
| >
| > Who to I get hold on the internal representation of "-"?
| >
| > (SEX an EXPR do not see, to give me  what I want).
|
| I'm a little worried: what do you really want to do? This doesn't
| look like the way things should be done in Axiom or Aldor. Could you
| give an example, i.e., input plus desired output that explains *why*
| you want access to the internal representation?

I have various projects, ranging from refactoring to Algorithmic
Differentiation, proper symbolic manipulation in Axiom, etc.

For algorithmic differentiation, see

   http://www.autodiff.org/

I'm surprised that you are worried.  I don't quite understand where
you draw the barrier between what things can be done in Axiom and what
should not.  I see Axiom as a computational platform.  As such, it
should enable and support various styles and flavour of computations.

-- Gaby