bbdb-user

Re: updating, confused

From: Bob Newell
Subject: Re: updating, confused
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2018 20:14:25 -1000

> I never became a serious user of BBDB v2.

My own usage of BBDB goes very far back, and given that I had a
working setup, I was slow in converting from BBDB 2 to BBDB 3. However
once I spent a few hours tackling it and getting it all to work, I
found it to be a huge improvement in functionality and usability.

The trick is, as someone said above, is to allow BBDB to act at least
fairly aggressively (with a few bounds, of course). Letting BBDB
harvest addresses is to me essential. The more you have in your
database, the more you can get out of it, and it seems to scale well
at least to a few thousand entries.

And once you start to really customize ... the possibilities are
limitless. As just one example, I've added a language field to my
entries, so that if I'm (for instance) writing to someone in France,
the message compose buffer automatically comes up in French input
mode. Ditto for Germany/German. (Regrettably there is not yet a
Hawaiian input mode but I expect to write that one of these days.)

Aloha from Hawai`i nei,

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i