bibledit-development

[be] [task #8017] use/allow xetex as formatter

From: Dennis Drescher
Subject: [be] [task #8017] use/allow xetex as formatter
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 02:02:37 +0000

Follow-up Comment #7, task #8017 (project bibledit):

Well, I'd say it is a little more than just useful. TeX has been used to
typeset the majority of Bibles found here in MSEA by the Bible Society. The
problem has been that very few really understood how to use it. Now, faced
with more Bibles to typeset and an application that really isn't up to the
task (InDesign), the Bible Society here really doesn't know what they are
going to do. At least that's how it looks to me.

My hope is that we can resurrect TeX once more through XeTeX. Only this time,
create an environment that enables more people to use it. The ptx2pdf macro
package is a good start on that but there is still much to do.

You can get the latest version from:

http://scripts.sil.org/svn-view/sfscripture/TRUNK/ptx2pdf/

Just download the tarball and you should have everything you need in terms of
the softare.

For more information and tips on using them UBS has a site with some
documentation found at:

http://confluence.ubs-icap.org/display/TTT/Home

There's a lot of good information there.

There's also a mailing list you can subscribe to and ask questions there if
you can't find the answer on the UBS site. The address for that is:

address@hidden

But you do have to subscribe to it.

As for license, it is copyright SIL and yes, it is free. The reason UBS is so
interested in it is because they are going to use it in Paratext for their
rendering system.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?8017>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/