bibledit-development

Re: [be] bibledit 4.2 packages are in Debian unstable

From: Kim Blewett
Subject: Re: [be] bibledit 4.2 packages are in Debian unstable
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 21:38:11 +1000

either (A) it can detect xetex, and work around it being missing (maybe
greying out menu items that *need* xetex?), in which case it does not
depend on xetex.
Bibledit-Gtk gives a message if it does not find xetex, so that the user
is aware of it and the function that would use it does not work till
such time that xetex is installed, so Bibledit-Gtk detects it.

Not all users may be able to install xetex, or know how to do it. They
would have a problem if xetex does not get installed right at the start.
Xetex is included with the texlive-xetex package, and it is quite a
sizeable install. And that may be another problem too if disk space is
short.
From my somewhat limited experience with Xetex and greater experience with BE's built-in print processor, I don't think the "average Roman script user" needs the Xetex print processor; I'm guessing that it's there for specialized script needs. The standard processor works fine for printing simple drafts in Roman scripts, and there doesn't seem to be much assistance in BE with customizing the formatting using either processor.

If a GUI with more print formatting options could be developed, I imagine that the Xetex print option would offer better control, but the average translator doesn't know how to use Xetex so its power is beyond our reach.

So I would recommend against packaging Xetex as a BE dependency, please, especially since it is a big install.

Kim