bibledit-general

Re: [be] Bibledit 3.3 for Win32 alpha release

From: Dan Dennison
Subject: Re: [be] Bibledit 3.3 for Win32 alpha release
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 13:38:41 -0400

"Teus Benschop" <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> The WIN32 code in ipc.h/cpp has been moved into the main stream, and
> will be available in the git repository by Monday. I tried to review the
> code while inserting the changes, and it looks like everything is fine,
> but not having much knowledge of windows I can't say anything more than
> that.

I did a direct line-for-line port of the domain socket code to TCP sockets
code. As a result, I think the reading and writing in the sockets is busted,
as the domain sockets assumes we're dealing with a file. I believe this has
something to do with buffering, and I am on the trail of fixing it. In the
meantime, high CPU usage due to connections and disconnections. Fun stuff.

> Some points that I did notice are these:
>
> * How is the program to be started in Windows? I started it through
> bibledit-bin, but is there also the "bibledit" script to start it like
> on Linux?

In the package there is a shell script called i586-pc-mingw32msvc-bibledit.
Since we cannot assume /bin/sh on Windows, I will port this to a CMD script.

> * I tried to create a new project, but it crashed. Is there something
> special that needs to be done like setting a PATH or anything else?

Not sure why project creation is crashing. If you can send a backtrace or
Dr. Watson, that would be great.

On my end, the versifications and such are missing since the
PACKAGE_DATA_DIR stuff is broken. The code in directories.cpp is looking for
bibledit.exe, when its really called bibledit-bin.exe. I am changing that
now and rebuilding. Once thats done, the way I read the code is that it will
look for the PACKAGE_DATA_DIR like so:
%PATH_WHERE_BIBLEDIT-BIN.EXE_IS_FOUND%\..\share\bibledit

So we should be golden after this fix.

> Would you like me to put a link to the download binary on the bibledit
site?

Not yet. It's too rough around the edges. I'm working with Birch Champeon to
get a MSI together.

Also, I am re-enabling the sockets code under windowsoutpost.cpp/h and
httpd.cpp/h. As far as I can tell, both locations run from within Bibledit's
main process, so I shouldn't need to call WSAStartup(). Let me know if you
think otherwise.

dan :)