bibledit-general

[be] Resource in Text Collection facility and Tibetan language selection

From: stevelilley
Subject: [be] Resource in Text Collection facility and Tibetan language selection for project
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 07:08:14 -0400

Hi

This is a general question. I'm looking at Bible Editor. It looks something like Paratex 7 but there are a few features which are very nice and helpful in Paratex (and Translation Editor) and I was wondering if it is available in Bible Editor.

1. In both Paratex and TE there is a facility callled "Resource in Text Collection." Do you have this facility? Also can you open the resources which are available for Paratex (ie: the bibles) I think they can be opened in TE (I think I saw it once however it may not have been the copyright bibles I would have to ask a colleague what he has there). I think the bibles are password protected in the zip files.

2. When you open a new project you have a limited selection of languages. We are translating in a Tibetan language and there is a character in this language which Bible Editor is mistaking for "space" I think, because if I select it an try to add it to the dictionary it only selects a part of it not the whole word.

For example see the word below

སོང་པ་སང་

the little dots in between the syllables is mistaken for word breaks by bibledit and I can't insert the entire word into the dictionary. I like the dictionary displaying words which aren't in the dictionary but if I can't add them then I will have the wavy lines under every word in the document and I wouldn't want that.

I'm trying out Bible Editor to see how compatible it is with Paratex. Our MTTs have been using Paratex up to now for the last few months. It has some nice features but if Bible Editor had similar and similar menu selection then in time we would move across to it. Currently we run linux Ubuntu 10.04 and I have to run a virtual machine to run windows and paratex.

Steve