bibledit-general

Re: [be] Sharing notes with paratext?

From: John Brownie
Subject: Re: [be] Sharing notes with paratext?
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 17:09:54 +0200

Teus Benschop wrote:
On 12/07/2011 09:10 AM, David Gardner wrote:
PS: I tried exporting notes from Bibledit-gtk 4.3  yesterday, (didn't get an
option on what format it should be) and received and error "no such column:
ref_osis". I recreated the index file and had the same result today, with
code fresh from git.  Is this a known bug?
I believe that the code that handles the export of the project notes is
old code, and has not been updated when the format of the notes files
and the accompanying index database, changed. Thus this code tries to
access an old column ref_osis in the table, but this field has long
gone. Teus.

I just had a look at that code, and it sure is using the wrong format. I did a bit of experimenting and got it to export what is in the index.sql database, but it generates invalid XML if there are <br> references in the note (generated from a new line in the note, I think), and I also had an extraneous &nbsp; which Firefox complained about. I could only get the note in its case-folded form.

So my conclusion was that it's not very useful to try and fix that code without going into more detail in the newer notes format. In particular, there is no human-understandable reference in the notes, so it's hard to find the notes you want. It's simpler in the long run to manually look at the notes in the data directory, or possibly write a Perl script to grab the data out of the files, or even resort to copy and paste.

John