bibledit-general

Re: [be] Sharing notes with paratext?

From: Teus Benschop
Subject: Re: [be] Sharing notes with paratext?
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 20:19:10 +0100

On 12/12/2011 04:09 PM, John Brownie wrote:
> I just had a look at that code, and it sure is using the wrong format. I
> did a bit of experimenting and got it to export what is in the index.sql
> database, but it generates invalid XML if there are <br> references in
> the note (generated from a new line in the note, I think), and I also
> had an extraneous &nbsp; which Firefox complained about. I could only
> get the note in its case-folded form.

Some of the code was updated in the source. The new code probably is
similar to the code you used while doing a bit of experimenting. But the
problems you mention remain. As for the casefolded form of the text, the
problem is that the index.sql is used for display and searching. The
real notes are in the many separate text files. It would be better to
export from there, so as to have a better export, and keep the capitals
and all in their places. Whoever provides a patch for this, thanks!

> So my conclusion was that it's not very useful to try and fix that code
> without going into more detail in the newer notes format. In particular,
> there is no human-understandable reference in the notes, so it's hard to
> find the notes you want. It's simpler in the long run to manually look
> at the notes in the data directory, or possibly write a Perl script to
> grab the data out of the files, or even resort to copy and paste.

Agreed: It is now easier to just look through the notes files. Patches
are welcome to make a well-formed xml export.

Teus.