bibledit-general

Re: [be] Bibledit-general Digest, Vol 55, Issue 24

From: David Gardner
Subject: Re: [be] Bibledit-general Digest, Vol 55, Issue 24
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 23:14:02 +0300

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 08:44:02PM +0200, Teus Benschop wrote:
> This is weird:
> Compiling and linking bibledit-gtk with level 2 optimization (-O2) leads to
> size of the binary of 46 Mbyte on Linux.
> Doing the same thing with no optimization (-O0) leads to a size of 35 Mbyte.
> This is unexpected to me, but as from now, I have optimization switched off by
> default in the bibledit-gtk tarball.
> Teus.

I'm not sure which -O number it kicks in at, but sometimes the compiler
does things that cost program size and save some time, e.g.
"loop unrolling" type actions (changes a loop into repetative
statements), so that there's no need for the test instructions and
apparently the processor can work more efficiently without the loops.

But I'd have thought that 10Mbytes is a fairly big price to pay for that
sort of marginal speed increase. Or is it not marginal? I don't know.
Probably depends on where the code spends its time....

David