bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] Subtitles

From: Joe
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] Subtitles
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 16:45:14 +0200

Hi!

> On 20/04/11 12:45, Robert Pliszko wrote:
> > I've noticed that when I used "<i>", "</i>" or "/" tags in srt/txt/sub
> > subtitles, bino didn't show subtitle as italic, only display these tags
> > on screen.
>
> Hm, I'm unsure about this. Can you give some more information? There are
> two cases:
>
> 1. Plain text subtitles (such as those in your sample). Are such tags
> supposed to be supported in plain text subtitles? Is this documented
> somewhere?

Plain text should be really "plain", however I also have one example of plain
text subs with html tags - they are in matroska container. Maybe we could
reuse srt_to_ass from ffmpeg to convert these tags to ASS format. Is it
possible to call srt_to_ass function from ffmpeg public API?

> 2. SRT subtitles. SRT is translated to ASS by FFmpeg for us, so Bino
> never sees SRT. This conversion from SRT to ASS is done here:
> <http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=blob;f=libavcodec/srtdec.c;h=aa73f4
> c7bf45a74f6dd7ec0789bfe12fea756237;hb=HEAD> line 48-184. This function
> converts several SRT tags to ASS tags, but not <i>. If <i> is supposed to
> be supported by SRT, then FFmpeg needs to be fixed.

I believe support for <i> and other HTML tags is there - just look at line
151:
http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=blob;f=libavcodec/srtdec.c;h=aa73f4c7bf45a74f6dd7ec0789bfe12fea756237;hb=HEAD#l151
I can confirm that it is working and subtitles are displayed in italics. So
maybe Robert is using plaintext subtitles or has some old version of ffmpeg.

Joe.