bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] bino - sound via hdmi

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] bino - sound via hdmi
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 11:22:38 +0100

Hi Robert!

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 11:09:31 +0100, Robert Pliszko wrote:
> I have nvidia gt430 graphic card. It has hdmi 1.4a, so I would like
> to send audio via hdmi to my tv.
> I've tested if it worked on xbmc, and it did (set plughw:1,9 in
> settings). If possible to implement audio setting on bino (gui and
> command line)?

Currently, Bino always uses the default device of OpenAL. So this is a
matter of configuring OpenAL. Have a look at /etc/openal/alsoftrc. You
can also copy this file to ~/.alsoftrc for per-user settings without
touching the system settings.

The 'set plughw...' thingy looks ALSA-ish to me, so you might try
setting 'drivers = alsa', and in the [alsa] section 'device = ...'.

The default for OpenAL on Linux is usually to use PulseAudio (which
then uses ALSA), so Bino uses the audio output configured for
PulseAudio. You can probably change that somehow, too.

A nice feature for Bino would be to have an audio device selection box
that lists all output devices known to OpenAL. In case OpenAL uses
PulseAudio, for example, all PulseAudio devices would be listed there,
including HDMI. But this would also work with different backends
(ALSA, OSS, ...) and on different systems (Mac OS, Windows, ...).

If someone writes a patch ...

Martin