bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] bino - sound via hdmi

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] bino - sound via hdmi
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 19:13:42 +0100

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 11:22:38 +0100, Martin Lambers wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 11:09:31 +0100, Robert Pliszko wrote:
> > I have nvidia gt430 graphic card. It has hdmi 1.4a, so I would like
> > to send audio via hdmi to my tv.
> > I've tested if it worked on xbmc, and it did (set plughw:1,9 in
> > settings). If possible to implement audio setting on bino (gui and
> > command line)?
>
> Currently, Bino always uses the default device of OpenAL. So this is a
> matter of configuring OpenAL. Have a look at /etc/openal/alsoftrc. You
> can also copy this file to ~/.alsoftrc for per-user settings without
> touching the system settings.
>
> The 'set plughw...' thingy looks ALSA-ish to me, so you might try
> setting 'drivers = alsa', and in the [alsa] section 'device = ...'.
>
> The default for OpenAL on Linux is usually to use PulseAudio (which
> then uses ALSA), so Bino uses the audio output configured for
> PulseAudio. You can probably change that somehow, too.
>
> A nice feature for Bino would be to have an audio device selection box
> that lists all output devices known to OpenAL. In case OpenAL uses
> PulseAudio, for example, all PulseAudio devices would be listed there,
> including HDMI. But this would also work with different backends
> (ALSA, OSS, ...) and on different systems (Mac OS, Windows, ...).
>
> If someone writes a patch ...

OK, I unexpectedly had a little time to work on Bino, and I implemented
this:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/bino.git/commit/?id=7dc2939801a53b10b50333b5de14480a6c4a335c

You can select an audio device via command line or via
Preferences->Audio.

However, I cannot test it meaningfully since I don't have multiple
audio devices.

Please let me know if it works for you.

Martin