bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] Possible to use two v4l2 inputs?

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] Possible to use two v4l2 inputs?
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 18:22:03 +0200

Hi Goetz!

On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 09:07:59 -0600, Goetz Dapp wrote:
> On 04/06/2012 08:07 AM, Martin Lambers wrote:

> >> Hi Martin,
> >>
> >> thanks for your quick reply! I'll compile Bino from git tonight and
> >> give it a shot.
> >>
> >> Regarding the v4l2 controls, I am not even sure if that is doable
> >> through ffmpeg. I am using a camera that has an autofocus
> >> (V4L2_CID_FOCUS_AUTO) and auto white balance feature
> >> (V4L2_CID_AUTO_WHITE_BALANCE), which sometimes messes up a video
> >> during recording. There are other controls, too, that might be
> >> interesting for my setup. I was thinking about presetting it, and
> >> then turn it off, hence my question about the controls.
> > FFmpeg does not seem to support these advanced controls, so I'm
> > afraid we cannot easily add support for them to Bino. Isn't there
> > some V4L2 application that allows to tweak all these things while
> > an application uses the device?
> >
> > Martin
> >
> Hi Martin,
>
> thanks, that's what I suspected. I compiled bino last night and the
> two input work! The resolution is limited to 800x600, I suspect that's
> because of bandwidth issues. Do you know if ffmpeg supports
> controlling the input data type / chroma, i.e. MJPG, which the camera
> can run natively? When I use cvlc and set the v4l2-chroma to MJPG it
> supports two cameras as 1280x800.

This seems to be supported by FFmpeg, but I'm not sure how to use it.
Can you add the following to line 815 in src/media_object.cpp?
'av_dict_set(&iparams, "input_format", "mjpeg", 0);'
(Or apply the attached patch.)

Does this work?

If so, I can add a command line and GUI option "request mjpeg format"
or similar.

Martin