bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] Possible to use two v4l2 inputs?

From: Goetz Dapp
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] Possible to use two v4l2 inputs?
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 10:29:17 -0600

Hi Martin and others,

On 04/08/2012 01:53 PM, Martin Lambers wrote:
> Hi Götz!
>
> On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 13:30:49 -0600, Götz Dapp wrote:
>>> The latest version now has an option --device-format to request
>>> MJPEG format, and the GUI "Open device" dialog was improved to
>>> allow opening two devices and requesting MJPEG format.
>>>
>>> Can you test this?
>> just tested it, it works just fine! Thanks so much!
> Thanks for testing!
>> Just out of curiosity: is there any way to record the bino output
>> stream?
> No, currently everything in Bino assumes that media is read-only.
> Adding encoding support would require serious work and would add *lots*
> of complexity. I'd rather keep things simple and keep Bino a video
> player only. Encoding/transcoding of stereoscopic video is probably
> best left to a dedicated tool.
>
> Best regards,
> Martin
I have a question regarding ffmpeg - realize this is not an ffmpeg
mailing list, and apologize in advance. But given your expertise you
might be able to give me a quick hint how to resolve it, particularly
since you managed to convince ffmpeg in Bino to capture in MJPEG somehow
(which the camera natively supports). Since Bino does not do "capture,"
I have been trying to directly capture a stream, but failed miserably -
and I have not been able to figure out where I am going wrong.

Essentially I am trying to record a stream from a webcam in the size
1280x720 at 30fps directly in MJPEG without any conversion.

Could you give me a hint how to write me a quick command line command
that does that? Maybe with an visual output, too? I.e. it writes it to
the file but also displays what it is recording? If that does not work,
just writing the file would suffice, too.

I have tried the following command, but only get garbled stuff...

ffmpeg -an -f video4linux2 -s 1280x720 -b 2000k -r 30 -i /dev/video0 -vcodec
mjpeg /test.avi

I apologize for my lack of understanding and thank you all in advance,

Goetz