bongo-devel

[bongo-devel] Re: dvb and dvd

From: Daniel Jensen
Subject: [bongo-devel] Re: dvb and dvd
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 17:41:25 +0100

Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Daniel Jensen) writes:
>
>> VLC wants an `@' character in the URI (or MRL). Leaving it out is an
>> error. Mplayer allows the `@', but warns about it. So, the URI that
>> works for both looks like this: `dvd://@1'.
>
> What about just `dvd://'?  That seems to work too.

Yes. I don't know exactly what it does for DVD, but it might be
something different than with `dvd://@1'. For example, `cdda://' would
play a whole CD, as opposed to playing only the first track. I don't
think I'd ever use `cdda://', though.

> Could we translate to the proper syntax before passing the
> URI to the backend process?  Could that translation be as
> simple as inserting or removing the `@' character?  If so,
> it might be worth it.  If the translation is complicated,
> it would probably not be worth it.

Future back-ends may need to do this to work at all.

Also, consider device selection. We might decide that this will be
encoded in URIs. The ways to do it are conflicting, I think.

Ideally, Bongo URIs should work outside of Bongo too. We may not be
able to construct URIs that work in all situations, but they have to
be middle-of-the-road.

>> At least this is true for cdda: URIs. This is how I implemented
>> it in my CDDA code (to be merged with Bongo soon?).
>
> The last version I have is five weeks old.  Have you changed
> anything since then?  If so, please send the latest version.

I have changed a few things since then. I'll send it to you off-list.

If anybody else wants it, please tell me. It's still a bit crude,
because there's no good way to make use of CDDB information, and
per-track device selection does not have effect.

> What should we do about the key bindings?  If `i c' is going
> to insert a CD, then logically `i d' should insert a DVD and
> `i v' should insert a VCD.  I see two problems with this.
>
> First, `i d' is already taken.  (Does anyone actually use it?)

I do, but I wouldn't mind `C-u i t' as a special case instead.

> What if `i' was bound directly to `bongo-insert-file',
> and `I' was bound to something like `bongo-insert-any',
> which would prompt for the type of thing to insert?

This would spare one keystroke for insert file, and add three (e.g.
`S-i c TAB RET') for the others. Am I correct? I think that may be too
much to type. How about a compromise; introduce `I' but leave `i' as a
prefix key for the most common operations?