bongo-devel

[bongo-devel] MPlayer backend code removed

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: [bongo-devel] MPlayer backend code removed
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 01:37:26 +0100

Hello,

I have just removed the MPlayer backend code from the
main Bongo repository.

The new home for this package is the Emacs wiki:

   <http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/BongoMPlayer>

The reason for this removal is the fact that MPlayer
recommends the use of non-free software (binary codecs).

We discussed this on the mailing list over a month ago and
decided that we should not support MPlayer.  This decision
has now been implemented.

If you are currently using the MPlayer backend, please
consider switching to VLC.  Not only do the VLC developers
have a better attitude towards software freedom; VLC also
has a technically better backend interface.

It is very easy to change the VLC key bindings to match
those of MPlayer.  Just run `vlc' and choose `Settings' and
then `Preferences...' from the menu bar.  In the dialog, click
the arrow next to `Interface' and choose `Hotkeys settings'.

Being used to Emacs, I use the following key bindings:

   `F'      --- very small forward seek
   `f'      --- small forward seek
   `M-f'    --- large forward seek
   `C-M-f'  --- very large forward seek

I very much recommend those.

If you still do not want to switch to VLC, you may continue
to use the MPlayer backend by downloading `bongo-mplayer.el'
from the URL mentioned above, putting it in one of the
directories in your `load-path', and putting the following
line in your `~/.emacs':

   (require 'bongo-mplayer)

Best regards,

--