bongo-devel

[bongo-devel] Added support for marks

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: [bongo-devel] Added support for marks
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 01:58:18 +0100

Hi again,

I just wanted to let you know that I have just installed the
patch that adds support for marking and unmarking commands.

In accordance with Romain's original proposal, the following
keys can be used to mark things by regular expressions:

   `% m' --- mark by regexp match
   `% u' --- unmark by regexp match
   `% a' --- mark by regexp match on artist name
   `% b' --- mark by regexp match on album title
   `% y' --- mark by regexp match on album year
   `% i' --- mark by regexp match on track index
   `% t' --- mark by regexp match on track title
   `% A' --- unmark by regexp match on artist name
   `% T' --- unmark by regexp match on track title

To mark just the track at point, use `m'.  Use `M' to mark
the previous track.  To unmark the track at point, use `u'.
Use `DEL' to unmark the previous track.  To unmark all
tracks in the entire buffer, use `U'.

The following commands have been modified to operate on the
marked tracks, if any:

                     `c', `k', `e', `E'

The DWIM command `RET' does not operate on the marked
tracks, so you cannot use it to play all marked tracks.
Instead, there is a new command `C-c RET', which plays
whatever is in the region, or in the marking, or at point.

The commands that operate on the marked tracks, if any, all
follow what could be called the "prefix/region/marking
convention", comparable to Gnus's "process/prefix convention".

The convention used in Bongo is essentially the same as that
used in Gnus, but Bongo doesn't have "process marks" --- it
just has marks --- so we might as well use a better name.

The convention is this:

   If a numeric prefix argument N was given,
     operate on the next N tracks.

   Otherwise, if the region is active,
     operate on the region.

   Otherwise, if there are any marked tracks,
     operate on the marked tracks.

   Otherwise just operate on the object at point.

This means that you can use, e.g., `1 e' to enqueue the
track at point even if you have marked a bunch of stuff.

I don't think I have to say much more about this.  I hope
that it is all pretty intuitive.  If not, I have failed.

I ask everyone who is interested in this feature to test it
as much as you feel like and report any and all problems.

Once again, mad props to Daniel Jensen for prototyping the
code for this feature, and to Romain Francoise for suggesting
it all those weeks ago.

Have fun,

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>