cameleon-dev

[cameleon-dev] Summoning the daemon : findlib migration RC1

From: Sylvain LE GALL
Subject: [cameleon-dev] Summoning the daemon : findlib migration RC1
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 00:29:05 +0100

Hello all,

Ok it has been a while i am working on a findlib migration...

It is done :
- to compile :
        - ./configure
        - make
        - make doc
        - make install
        - make install-doc
- for fun :
        - ./configure
        - make configure-options
        - make
        - make doc
        - make install CONFIGURE=(absolute path + filename to your
configure-options )
        - make install-doc CONFIGURE=(absolute path + filename to your
configure-options )

I configure options you can choose a set of things to install, where to
install, should be byte or opt...

At the first compilation, you will think the output is NOT really
verbose... To reenable : make VERBOSE=yes.

Now, some comments.

I choose to use configure-options because it is really a good ways to
configure a lot of things at once and it is done automatically ( ie,
when you add a library in a subdir, it will automatically take it into
account in the configure-options ).

You should feel that the build design is weird... Indeed it is. As i
stated before, i use this as a proof of concept for another build
system. However, it is really simple :

You want to compile program foo, which top file is top.ml ( you don't
need to stat the depends ) :

$(eval $(call ADD_TARGET_PROGRAM,top,best,top.cmx,,))

It needs unix to compile :

$(eval $(call SET_REQUIRES,top,prog,unix,,,,,,))

The file notop.ml need a special syntax :

$(eval $(call SET_SYNTAX,notop.ml,ioXml,camlp4o))

I think the best way is to have a look at master.Makefile.in ( there is
a full section with comment about all the top target you can use ).

Right now, the non-ocamlfind build is not possible, but it is just a
matter of philosophy. To reenable it, i should add some functions in
master.Makefile.in ( it is not complicated, but it is a rewrite of
ocamlfind, and i don't like that ).

OK, so what the real purpose of my mail :

I need some beta testers.
I want to know, if all dev agreed on only using ocamlfind ( and not
non-ocamlfind ). However, it won't be definitive, as i have explain it
is just a matter of philosophy.
I want to have the authorization to merge HEAD with findlib.

If some of you can try to build...

I have made a tag : findlib-rc1

So for those who want to test :
cvs -z3 -d address@hidden:/cvsroot/cameleon co -r findlib-rc1 cameleon

I am waiting for your reaction... Don't hesitate to submit bugs ( maybe
tagged with findlib... need to create a special tag ).

Kind regard
Sylvain LE GALL