cameleon-dev

Re: [cameleon-dev] Summoning the daemon : findlib migration RC1

From: Maxence Guesdon
Subject: Re: [cameleon-dev] Summoning the daemon : findlib migration RC1
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:16:00 +0100

Hi Sylvain,

> Ok it has been a while i am working on a findlib migration...
>
> It is done :
> - to compile :
>       - ./configure
>       - make
>       - make doc
>       - make install
>       - make install-doc
> - for fun :
>       - ./configure
>       - make configure-options
>       - make
>       - make doc
>       - make install CONFIGURE=(absolute path + filename to your
>       configure-options )- make install-doc CONFIGURE=(absolute path +
>       filename to your configure-options )
>
> I configure options you can choose a set of things to install, where to
> install, should be byte or opt...

It seems very complicated. ./configure can already be used to set options, you
know :-)
And the DESTDIR variable (in master.Makefile.in) can already be used to
install in a different directory (it is used by debian packagers).
What's the need for other options and moreover for another configuration
system ?

> At the first compilation, you will think the output is NOT really
> verbose... To reenable : make VERBOSE=yes.

Default should be VERBOSE=YES, i think.

> Now, some comments.
>
> I choose to use configure-options because it is really a good ways to
> configure a lot of things at once and it is done automatically ( ie,
> when you add a library in a subdir, it will automatically take it into
> account in the configure-options ).
>
> You should feel that the build design is weird... Indeed it is. As i
> stated before, i use this as a proof of concept for another build
> system. However, it is really simple :
>
> You want to compile program foo, which top file is top.ml ( you don't
> need to stat the depends ) :
>
> $(eval $(call ADD_TARGET_PROGRAM,top,best,top.cmx,,))
>
> It needs unix to compile :
>
> $(eval $(call SET_REQUIRES,top,prog,unix,,,,,,))
>
> The file notop.ml need a special syntax :
>
> $(eval $(call SET_SYNTAX,notop.ml,ioXml,camlp4o))

You call that "simple" ??? :-)
Well, I think it's eird, indeed :-) I'll have a closer look at it
to see if I can understand it... (I keep an open mind ;-)

> I think the best way is to have a look at master.Makefile.in ( there is
> a full section with comment about all the top target you can use ).

I'll read comments to. It sure will help me :-)

> Right now, the non-ocamlfind build is not possible, but it is just a
> matter of philosophy. To reenable it, i should add some functions in
> master.Makefile.in ( it is not complicated, but it is a rewrite of
> ocamlfind, and i don't like that ).
>

> OK, so what the real purpose of my mail :
>
> I need some beta testers.
> I want to know, if all dev agreed on only using ocamlfind ( and not
> non-ocamlfind ). However, it won't be definitive, as i have explain it
> is just a matter of philosophy.
> I want to have the authorization to merge HEAD with findlib.
>
> If some of you can try to build...
>
> I have made a tag : findlib-rc1
>
> So for those who want to test :
> cvs -z3 -d address@hidden:/cvsroot/cameleon co -r findlib-rc1
> cameleon
>
> I am waiting for your reaction... Don't hesitate to submit bugs ( maybe
> tagged with findlib... need to create a special tag ).

Ok, I'll try it but not before one week or two (I'm very busy and want to
finish some stuff on camlget really soon). I'll let you know when I tried
your new compilation scheme.

Anyway, thanks for your work ;-)

Friendly,

Maxence