cardinal-dev

Re: [Cardinal-dev] RubyInRuby parser/compiler

From: Anders Bengtsson
Subject: Re: [Cardinal-dev] RubyInRuby parser/compiler
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 15:08:53 +0100 (CET)

 --- Erik Bågfors <address@hidden> wrote:
> > What are the plans for Fixnum in Cardinal, will it
> first be done as
> > plain non-optimized objects, or is there already
> work being done on a
> > "native" integer implementation?
>
> There aren't many "plans" for cardinal at all yet,
> except for individual
> peoples plans.
>
> I believe we should start by doing the "slow but
> 100% compatible"-way
> and then optimize after that.

That's how we did it in JRuby. Our Fixnums are mostly
like other objects, with the exception that they
aren't stored in the ObjectSpace and that the
instances for 0-255 are cached.

In Java it is very hard to use a "native" integer
representation like Matz' Ruby does, so we'll probably
never see that on the Java platform. Parrot seems to
be much better in this aspect.

/Anders

=====
Anders Bengtsson              address@hidden