cardinal-dev

Re: [Cardinal-dev] RubyInRuby parser/compiler

From: Dan Sugalski
Subject: Re: [Cardinal-dev] RubyInRuby parser/compiler
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 12:26:41 -0500

At 10:20 PM +0100 1/7/03, Erik Bågfors wrote:
On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 23:36, Dan Sugalski wrote:

 Oh, you do. While the addition is of two constants, they're ruby
 integer constants, with whatever behaviour is appropriate for them,
 so the Fixnum addition method will get called. (I assume Ruby doesn't
 do constant folding)

 >Also, the following code is not strange in ruby
 >a = -1.abs()
 >
 >So we need to view constants as full objects.
 >
 >The fact that the JRuby-guys did it this way also convinces me.

 Never said they wouldn't be. There won't be one forced universal
 constant type, since that's untenable for all the languages we're
 looking at. Ruby code will have different constant types than
 perl/python/java/C#/whatever does, which is fine.

Just a short question,
Are "constants" working already? How do I use them (preferably imcc
syntax :) )???

PMC constants? Alas not, just integer, float, and string, which is
insufficient for the task at hand, alas.
--
                                        Dan

address@hidden                         have teddy bears and even
                                      teddy bears get drunk