chicken-hackers

Re: [Chicken-hackers] Distributed egg repo proposal

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Distributed egg repo proposal
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 13:26:24 +0100

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 12:16:19PM +0000, Imran Rafique wrote:
> Its been interesting reading through this thread. I'd like to suggest
> some amendments to Peter's proposals, addressing some of the concerns
> highlighted.

I haven't had time to digest this fully, but here are some initial remarks:

Your proposal ignores one of the main design goals of the distributed egg
proposal; it is not backwards compatible; from what I understood, you want
to modify chicken-install.

The other remark I have is that it would require substantial rethinking
and recoding of our tools, including making a full-fledged package manager
from chicken-install complete with user-overlaid local patches.  Felix has
said before he doesn't want that, and I support him in that; OSes have
package managers, and chicken-install should stay simple.

Finally, I think your approach also requires people to submit their
finished eggs somewhere as a tarball once they've tagged a release?
That also ignores the design goal "no extra hassle".

Cheers,
Peter
--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx